After an accident you are left worrying about medical expenses, insurance companies, car repairs or replacement, and all this can be overwhelming. To make it even worse, insurance companies will approach you to agree on a settlement that is too low to cover all the damages suffered in the car accident.
Make sure that you consult your lawyer before you agree on anything that insurance companies may offer you.
The At-Fault and Liable Party
There are state statutes for drivers that if broken can lead to serious consequences for a driver. A driver that causes an accident because of disregard for traffic rules will be considered the liable or at-fault party. That means that the driver will be expected to pay for damages and or injuries sustained by the other driver involved in the accident. Note that sometimes drivers can be found to be only partially liable for an accident. Some actions that cause accidents on Edison roads include:
- Inexperienced driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Disregard of traffic signals
- Driving while distracted
- Car stopping abruptly without warning
Get a lawyer to represent you even if the accident that you were involved in only led to a fender-bender.
Car Accident Injuries
Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Cuts and bruises
- Brain injuries
Apart from these injuries, you may also have to replace parts on your vehicle or replace the whole vehicle because of the damage caused by the accident. Since car accidents can leave you with long-term injuries and financial hardship, you may be able to recover the following:
- Lost income because of the days you have gone without working because of your injuries
- Future lost income because of disability or injury you suffered in the accident
- Cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle that was damaged in the accident
- Past and future medical expenses
- Damages for the pain and the emotional distress that you had to endure including depression, anxiety and insomnia
Since insurance companies are only interested in profits not paying you, you will need a lawyer that can confidently negotiate with them for you to get the maximum compensation you deserve.
How To Approach Initial Lawyer Consultation
Tips for initial lawyer consultation after the accidents include:
- Ask questions for you to understand you legal situation better
- Ask for an estimation of how long your case will take to resolve and what the necessary procedures are
- Find out if the lawyer has experience with cases similar to yours and whether that lawyer can competently handle your case
- Determine how understanding the lawyer is to your situation and whether you feel comfortable working with the lawyer or the firm
Some lawyer can actually help you find the doctors to assist with your medical treatment.